Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Afghan Fashion


My apologies to those who I promised a blog every day. My laptop transformer died sometime yesterday and the battery was all out of juice by bedtime, when I normally publish the latest news.

Pictured is myself wearing a suit of the traditional Afghan man. Yes, it looks like pajamas. Yes, the majority of men and boys wear this outfit. Some wear western clothes... I don't mean country-western, but typical pants and button-down, collar shirts like we wear in the USA. This is how the Afghan men in my office dress. A few wear suits to work. Others keep their shirts untucked. Only a few wear T-shirts. The pajama outfit is made of fabric matching top and bottom. I see mostly white, but also pale green, beige or blue. Never dark colors and never complex patterns. In cooler weather, they wear a vest. I have yet to see how they'll dress in winter. About the sandals... most men wear them, even doing manual labor, unless they have an office job. Also pictured is our Afghan admin-assistant, Sonia. She dresses traditionally, with exception of the fabric pattern! One thing is consistent.... MODESTY. No bear arms, legs, bosoms or backs. Many still cover their hair and a few their faces.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for all the pictures and updates, Mike. It really is fascinating to learn about another place. It looks and sounds like you are fitting right in. Take care!

abbycarlson said...

Looking good there Mike! THis may sound weird, but with your hair and complexion, if you grew a beard, you could totally pass for an Afghan man!