
This is a typical lunch, prepared here at the Villa by our Afghan chef. I'm the only Westerner that eats with them, though the office leader eats their food up in his office. Seen is a bowl of broth with a chunk of (probably) beef in the middle. I have added a few bits of bread that I tore off the pita beside the bowl. I love Afghan bread. Pita isn't the right word for it. It is like Indian Nan, or like a big pancake, but it has been baked rather than cooked on a skillet. Some of their bread is hung from hooks as it cools and the result is a long oval shape. Also in the soup are freshly chopped onions, tomatoes and cilantro. Yum! The Afghans tear up their bread and fill the soup bowl with it, then eat the sopping bread pieces with their spoon. Okay, some use their hands, but not me! Just beyond my soup bowl is a dish containing 3 portions of Pomegranite. The Afghans eat the kernels of the fruit, as we might, but they chew up and swallow the seeds as well. I have been learning to do this, against my preferences, in hopes of some healthful benefit. We have soup like this about 3 days a week. Other days we have dishes made mostly from either green beans or cauliflower. Desert is often plain yoghurt, which has a smokey flavor, or an apple or a banana.





3 comments:
The food sounds good! You'll need to learn some recipes and cook some samples when you get back. Hope all's well.
Sounds yummy....and healthy. Luckily you can still get your hands on a peanutopolis. :)
Sorry I didn't get any Fosdick chapters scanned for you... I was out with my brother all day Friday and prepared names to take to the temple that night... then obviously we were in Nauvoo all day yesterday. Those are my excuses. Hope your talk went well... I'm sure it did.
I would want to eat their food too. Much more interesting than ours. That table and chairs are gorgeous! It might be worth the shipping. That's an heirloom kind of thing. Beautiful. Oh, I never heard back on the rugs. What do you think $100 would get?
Post a Comment