Friday, November 7, 2008

Handmade Persian Rugs




We have a rug salesman who comes to our villa on Fridays. We also have a jeweler, but I'll talk about his wares another day. I wish I had taken notes after all he told me today about these rugs. They are all handmade in either Afghanistan or Iran. His prices range from $40 to $4000. The 3 silk rugs shown above cost $1600 and have 1000 knots per square inch. They took 14 months to create! These are the finest rugs you can buy. They are not meant for standing on, but for hanging. I think they are gorgeous. Gosh, I want one. I hear you could pay 3 times as much for them in the US. Some folks buy them with plans to resell them when they get them home.
>



There are many less expensive rugs. They are made of wool and camel hair, died with vegetables and fruits like pomegranites. Not all are red and oriental looking. Many are golden. I bought one today for my room for $160. See in the photos that some rugs have animals on them. One photo shows a closeup of the family's name who made the rug. This country was at war for 30 years, and the familiar tanks, guns and aircraft decorate the war-rugs. A man-rug for the man-cave.
>
If you see something in my blog photos that you would like me to buy for you, please tell me and we'll make arrangements.

4 comments:

Laura said...

They are all gorgeous! Which one did you buy?

BTW: You've got a deal on the book trade. Remind me when you come home and I'll get it to you.

Tamara said...

I would love to get one of those to hang on that big, tall wall of ours in the front room. They are beautiful! How big are they in the $100 range?

Tamara said...

I was wondering--do all of the Snickers there say "Peanutopolis" on them? I don't ever eat full size snickers, but my friend Kari said she's seen weird words on wrappers here sometimes. It made me wonder.....

KabulArchitect said...

Tamara,

1. I will get some photos next time the rugs are here of those in the $100 range.

2. The wrapper said "Snickers" on the other side. All of our canned and bottled beverages have the common name on one side and the Persian name on the other, if they are packaged here.