Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Desk at the Kabul Villa


I cleaned up my desk today... I started a file folder rack for all the projects I've been working on. These include a Chinese Base Camp (think New Town for mine workers), a new Institute & ER at the National Military Hospital, a Branch School for recent graduates of the Army Boot Camp who need to learn a specialty, and facilities for the 5 Corps Support Battalions, which are spread around the nation attached to Corp Garrisons. Oh boy.
>
On my desk you see my laptop with web-cam affixed for video-chatting with my family via Skype. Do you want to try it? I'd like to talk to you! On my screen you'll see a lovely photo of H highway in Clay County MO, looking west toward Liberty from near the golf course.
>
And yes, you may notice I'm working on my Afghan look again. Hey, it's not really a beard, but for a 40 year old guy I think it is an ernest attempt. I've got 6 more weeks to see what becomes of it before I go back home to my family. Maybe by then I'll look like my Afghan peers... at least some of them. Many Afghans gave up on beards when the Taliban were vanquished. Prior to that time, their beards had to be as long as their fist or they could be arrested and thrown in jail for a week. Imagine that! These days a beard is a sign of a devout Muslim or a Westerner trying to mix in with the population. I would fit the latter case.

1 comment:

Dad said...

I really enjoy what you post. I am glad you are getting to know the Afghan people.

Dad