I found this article online written by a lady who volunteered for deployment to Afghanistan. She is an employee of the US Corps of Engineers at the AED compound, which stands for Afghan Engineering District. Her experience is similar to mine, with exception of living quarters. She does complain about being confined, but frankly, she has it a lot better than I did. I had a private bathroom at the villa, but I had nowhere to go for a jog, play volley ball or sit in the grass under tall pine trees like you'll see in the photos.
Of course there are many pros & cons to our two situations. For example the Corps employees must wear those baggy uniforms & floppy hats all the time. http://www.aed.usace.army.mil/News/Stories/reflection2.htmlHere is an article about a guy I met at the AED compound. I really enjoyed reading his impressions: http://www.defendamerica.mil/profiles/june2006/pr061406ms1.html

2 comments:
Hello
It has a nice blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from my country, Portugal
I didn't understand at first what are you looking for there; it must be an interesting experience, isn't it?
All the best, Dan, Romania, http://danmihalache.wordpress.com or the shown blogger adress.
Post a Comment