Sunday, January 18, 2009

Flying to Dubai

I flew out of Kabul on the 3rd of January, the first day it snowed in Kabul. I was quite nervous because of the snow. My visa expired that day and I feared what might happen if I couldn't leave Afghanistan till later in the week. I have heard enough stories of Afghan prisons and bribery to know you don't want to get caught doing anything illegal there. After only an hour's delay, I finally boarded Kam Air and was off the ground. The snowy weather was behind me by the time we got over eastern Afghanistan. The desert-like mountain terrain of Iran and Iraq were clear to see below.
I spent the night at the most luxurious hotel I've ever visited called the Le Meridian. I ate at a "fish-market" style restaurant where I chose fish from beds of ice to be prepared however I liked. I ate a baby shark! I spent the 4th mostly on a tour bus or wandering the shopping centers of Dubai. I'll soon post those photographs.
For this entry, I'll just upload a shot of a familiar guy in front of a familiar building... "familiar" as in, "you should have seen this stuff on the net already."

No comments: